Tuesday, November 2, 2010

When in Florida.....Eat a Cuban Sandwich

I have come down to Florida to play baseball for 14 years now and I love this place. A couple of years ago a good friend introduced me to authentic Cuban food. Chicken, rice, beans plantains...YUM. Well, of all the Cuban fare, the "Cuban" sandwich is my favorite. It's easy to make if you have the right ingredients. Enjoy......Gandy.
Ingredients
1 lb thinly sliced roast pork (*recipe on bottom)
1 lb thinly sliced ham
1 lb sliced Swiss cheese (has to be Swiss- once you go Swiss you will never miss)
1 cup Dijonaise  (3/4 cup mayo, 1/4 cup Gulden's spicy brown mustard)
6 dill pickle spears, cut into 3 thin slices each
celery salt to taste

You can use sliced sour dough or even rye if you like, but a real Cuban is made on a sweet roll.  Take your roll, cut in half and put a generous amount of Dijonaise on both sides. Add the pork, ham and Swiss in the amount that you like. (I like mine with alot of everything.) Place pickles on top and sprinkle with celery salt. Place the whole thing in a panini press or George Foreman grill for 3-4 minutes. Slice and enjoy. YUM!

*Roast pork-buy a nice small pork roast, place in pan with a little water, sprinkle with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and seasoning salt. Cook at 350 degrees for 10 minutes per pound. Let cool, slice thinly.

1 comment:

Jan/Mom/Gma Vogie said...

Aaahhh...finally a minute to look through your blog. I have wanted too for quite some time, just been busy, busy, busy!!
I love how everything we do centers around food...you crack me up! Loved your posts from NY!!
Enjoy the rest of your trip "Young Skywalker" (that was so funny when Sara wrote that!). Well, I'm off to get ingredients for "Easy Harvest Salad"...that sounds SO GOOD right now!