Monday, November 1, 2010

L&B Spumoni Gardens

OK, whenever you come to NY you have to eat as much Pizza as possible. As mentioned L&B Spumoni Gardens was also featured on "Man v. Food" So of course I just had to go. I met John there and he graciously allowed me to take pictures and answered all of my questions.
The signature lunch staple at L&B is their Sicilian-style square pizza. It is also one of my absolute favorite kinds of pizza. When I was in high school I used to slip away and grab two slices of this thick pizza at least three times a week. Michelangelo's was the hot spot in Eastport and still is.
Sicilian pizza is made a little differently than the more traditional styles. With a regular pizza, the dough is covered in sauce, then cheese and finally the toppings. Real Sicilian pizza has the mozzarella under the sauce, and the sauce is fresh, not cooked. This means the flavor is to die for. A small sprinkling of parmesan cheese on top finishes the awesome square delicacy!
I had my traditional 2 slices, a diet Pepsi.....well let's just say I was extremely satisfied! Gandy

No comments: