Friday, November 12, 2010

Bean And Bacon Soup

When I was a kid, winter was one of my favorite times of year.  I loved curling up next to the heater with a bowl of Campbell's Bean with Bacon soup. We would butter a couple of pieces of bread for dipping and the term comfort food was invented right there in my house. My best friend John Kruger called me one day to tell me if you mixed milk into the soup instead of water, the creaminess was awesome. That is how I've made it ever since.

Yesterday I started creating my own B&B soup in the slow cooker. One word, the Campbell's company might hate me forever. Here you go.....Enjoy Gandy
Take 3 cups Great Northern beans and soak them in 3 cups water overnight. This is a very important step so please do not skip it.  This takes out the acid from the beans and if you skip it.....I take no responsibility.

After soaking, place 2 quarts chicken stock in a large crock pot, set the timer to 8 hours. Drain the excess water from the soaking beans and add to the chicken stock. Throw in 3 medium sized diced carrots, 3 ribs diced celery and 1 medium sized diced onion. Cook 1 lb bacon, dry on a paper towel, crumble and throw into the pot. Add 1 Tbsp salt, 1 tsp pepper, and 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning. Let this cook for 7 hours. Add 2 cups milk for the final hour of cooking and get ready to curl up in front of some sort of heated device and remember to bring buttered bread along for dipping. I think I'm going to call Johnny K and see what he is up too.
And if all else fails, go buy a can of Campbell's.....it still does the trick for me.

No comments: