Thursday, November 18, 2010

Clam Chowder on the slow.

My wife is brutally honest. I always know what is good or not so good when I cook. She is always my first test.... Today I made some clam chowder in the crock pot and it was a huge hit. Clarence (Carrie's nickname) loved it; called this recipe my best chowder EVER! That, my friends, is the best rating in all the world. Enjoy....Gandy

This one is for my niece Brooke. She loves clam chowder and asked me for a recipe last week.
Here you go Brooke!
Start by cutting 1/2 pound of bacon into 1/2 inch pieces and cook in a skillet with 2 Tbsp olive oil. Dice one large onion into small pieces and cook with the bacon (no oil needed) until onions are clear. Using a slotted spoon, place bacon and onion mix on a paper towel lined plate to drain off the grease.

In the crock pot, put 32 ounces chicken broth, 4 large diced potatoes, 1 package frozen corn, 2 tsp paprika, 2 tsp worchestshire sauce, 1 Tbsp salt, 2 tsp pepper, and bacon/onion mix. Set pot to cook for 6-8 hours. Half an hour before it's done, add one large can of Clams with the juice. (These cans are restaurant sized, you can get them at costco, $13 for 2 cans.) I believe that Clam Chowder should be overloaded with clams. Don't be shy with the clams! Add 2 twelve-ounce cans evaporated milk. Stir well. Mix 5 cups of liquid from the crock with two cups cream soup base. (Walmart has this in bulk #10 cans.) If you can't find it, Bear River makes a creamy potato soup mix that will work. Mix all back into the crock. Cook an additional 10 minutes and serve. Let me know how it worked for you.....

No comments: