Friday, September 10, 2010

The best "No Meat" sandwich you will ever have

You all know that I am a serious carnvivore. I love meat. I love the traditional sandwich meats like Turkey, Chicken, Roast Beef, Ham and Salami (In all of it's glorious forms.) But, I also like the extreme meats as well - Cappicola, Soppresetta, Italian Sausage, Proscuitto, Pastrami, Corned beef and even Mortadella.

Lately at work in the kitchen I have been a grilling freak. I started out grilling everything Pastrami, and then when my buddy Tyler got back from Philadelphia (Take away the hated Phillies and I love that place) I cooked authentic Philly Steaks until my Cholesterol hit an all time high. Now I have been experimenting with meatless sammys that are flat out incredible.

Get that griddle or frying pan hot and make yourself a lunch you will not soon forget. Try this one and let me know what you all think:

Ingredients...Fresh sliced Mushrooms, Onions, Peppers, Roasted Red Peppers, Sliced Black Olives, Sliced Banana Peppers (or Pepperoncini), Crumbled Feta Cheese, Olive oil, and two of your favorite sliced cheeses. I prefer Pepperjack and Provolone. You could use Swiss, Cheddar, Mozzarella, Monterey Jack, Gouda, Irish Dubliner (Costco...YUM!) Havarti, Muenster...whatever you prefer.

1.   Put 2 Tbsp olive oil in the middle of your hot skillet. Add the onions and peppers and sauté until the onions turn clear.
2.   Add the rest of the veggies and stir continuously as you cook.
3.   Add Feta cheese once everything else is close to done. Feta will melt after a while and that is a good thing. Once feta starts to melt, form the mix into the shape of the bread you plan to put it on then add your sliced cheese to the top of this mix. Once Cheese starts to melt you are done.
4.   Toast or Grill whatever Bread you choose. I like a sliced Wheat, but a Hero, Kaiser, Rye, Pumpernickle, or even white or sour dough will do just fine.  Add Mayo, lettuce, tomato and mustard if you like; place the veggies and cheese in between.
5.   Ah come on you know the rest...Make it into a sandwich. If you own a Panini Grill, and I recommend you go get one, Panini grill that bad boy. (a George Foreman grill is perfect as well)

I promise you will not miss the meat one bit. Enjoy...Gandy

No comments: