Saturday, October 23, 2010

Seafood Soup.....YUM!

Today started like any other Saturday morning: Two hours of basketball followed by my very own Gandy-created baseball pitching workout. I load the Iron Mike (automatic pitching mchine) with 150 baseballs, squat like a catcher to snatch each ball coming in at about 80mph, pop up to work my legs and pitch the ball to work my arm and shoulder. Sounds like work but to tell the truth I enjoy every second.
So here I am. It's lunchtime and I want something delicious and nutritious at the same time. Its cold and rainy today so soup was a given, but with no chicken or beef in the house I went with what I had.
   I had two pieces of frozen talapia, a can of salmon, a pound of frozen shrimp and 8 ounces of imitation crab meat. I went to work....here you go. Enjoy, Gandy

6 potatoes, peeled and diced
3 carrots, diced
1 small onion, diced
2 cups chopped celery with leaves
2 quarts chicken stock
2 chicken bullion cubes
1 cup cream soup base (Walmart bulk food aisle)
2 cups shrimp with tails removed
2 cups fish (whatever you have or like)
1/8 cup olive oil
1/2 stick butter
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1 Tbsp cajun seasoning
1 Tbsp creole seasoning
1 Tbsp Old Bay seasoning
2 tsp granulated garlic
2 tsp granulated onion
salt and pepper to taste


In a large stock pot, place chicken stock, potatoes, carrots, onion, 1 tsp salt and celery. Boil for 20 minutes until veggies are cooked. Mix in cream soup base. Mix well until all lumps are gone. Take 2 cups of liquid from the pot, two cups of the veggies and the bullion cubes. Blend until pureed; add back into stock pot.
In a skillet, place olive oil, butter and garlic on medium heat. When garlic starts to sizzle and butter is melted, add the shrimp and fish. Add cajun and creole seasonings; cook while mixing until everything is hot and covered. Add fish mixture into stock pot. Mix in garlic and onion. Salt and pepper to your liking.  This soup will burn if left on the stove. Place in double boiler or remove from heat.

No comments: